Thursday, March 16, 2006

video games and parenting

A quote from the latest news entry posted by Tim over at the ctrl+alt+del webcomic:

"I'll start by saying that I don't think M rated games should be sold to minors. That's my personal take on it. I don't think an eight year old kid should be able to walk into a store and purchase Postal. If I had an eight year old son, I probably wouldn't buy him Postal. However, if I had a fifteen year old son, and I knew him as a person and felt he had a firm grasp on the lines between reality and fiction, right and wrong, I'd probably go ahead and buy him Postal.

And that is where the heart of this issue lies for me. I think that video games should be regulated, but I don't want them regulated by the government. I have two main reasons for this.

One, letting the government step in takes the responsibility off of the shoulders of the parents, and you know what? F*** that. Parents need to be responsible for their children, and I'm sick of the government legislating morality for these lazy people. If you're not ready to sacrifice the better part of your daily life for a good fifteen years, don't have kids."

Amen, Tim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home