Wednesday, October 04, 2006

weather

Well, that was fun. It rained early this morning, so I brought a hoodie with me to keep my hair dry, but then it was sunny all day, and warm enough I definitely didn't need the hoodie. But just a couple hours ago, I decided to check the forecast for my area, only to find there was a tornado warning in my county. Wait, what? I went and looked outside, and sure enough there were some nasty lookin' clouds on the horizon, and it was heading right for Rexburg. I have to admit I was a bit freaked out! I haven't been anywhere near a tornado in a long time; at least 10 years. But I stayed as calm as I could, rationalizing that until the sky turned strange colors, there was nothing to freak out about. But as it got closer and got really dark and the wind picked up, I started panicking again, barely able to keep my eyes away from the gathering storm for fear I would miss something. Soon enough, it started pouring, and I mean pouring rain. Torrents of water started collecting in the gutter and turned the road into a raging river. And I'm not even kidding. It was flash flooding faster than I've ever seen before. And then it hailed; a LOT. And that's when the sun started peeking out from the other side of the storm, turning the clouds colors and freaking me out even more, because I've always heard that tornados occur at the edge of a storm. But I remained glued to the spot, watching in awe as the hail came down like a blizzard and covered the ground in a mere couple of minutes and the lightning and thunder all around me was awesome. Then, as the sun continued to shine from under the clouds, a huge, full rainbow appeared right over the hill up to the MC and Taylor buildings. I managed a couple pictures through the door before the batteries died, so I'll post them when I get a chance. I was at peace at that point, because I knew there wasn't going to be a tornado, and I relaxed, thinking how awesome thunderstorms are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home